Everything you need to know

Nicolas Appert

  • Where do I see when the activities of Nicolas Appert are?

    You can see the agenda of our activities in multiple places:

    • In invitations and reminders sent for activities
    • In the weekly mail
    • In the agenda on the site (www.nicolasappert.nl)
    • On the poster wall on the first floor of Forum and outside the NA-"Hok" (Room 114 in Forum)
    • On Facebook

  • What is DTB?

    DTB is the abbreviation for During The Break. In the large breaks on Wednesday and Thursday this means a board member is present between 12:40-14:00 o clock. In the smaller breaks on Monday, Tuesday and Friday, a board member is present between 13:30-14:00 o clock. To see who is present, check the weekly mail (sent out on Sundays). You can drop by to ask questions or have a nice chat (and get a free cup of coffee ;)).

  • What is a General Members Meeting?

    A GMM (short for General Members Meeting) is a meeting that is held five times per academic year. During the meeting, all developments inside and outside the association are discussed and a financial overview is given. All committees tell something about their recent developments and activities. All members of Nicolas Appert are welcome to join the meeting and there is no subscription needed. During a GMM with board change, the old board is relieved from its functions and a new board is installed.

  • If I graduate, will I automatically be removed as a member of NA?

    After graduation from your Master's degree, you will automatically be removed from the member administration. This is because you are then no longer a WUR student anymore. If something goes wrong, please contact our Secretary by sending a mail to nicolas.appert@wur.nl.

  • How do I become an Active Member?

    An Active Member is a member who is part of a committee of Nicolas Appert. At the end of the year during the ‘End-of-the-year barbecue’ lists are available on which you can make your interest in a committee clear. The new first-year students can subscribe during the Committee Interest Lunch or before the ‘Kick-off party’ when they have dinner with their mentors. You can always send an email if you have any questions regarding committees you can send a mail to our Vice President (vicepresident.nicolasappert@wur.nl).

  • Master

  • What are the specialisations for the MSc Food Technology?

    Below you can find a list with all specialisations.

    A - Product Design and Ingredient Functionality
    B - Sustainable Food Process Engineering
    C - Food Fermentation and Biotechnology
    D - Dairy Science and Technology
    E - Food Digestion and Health
    F - Gastronomy Science
    G - Sensory Science
    H - Food Entrepreneurship
    I - European Master's in Food Studies (4 universities, 10 companies, guaranteed internship placement)
    J - Food Technology (online Master's specialisation)

    More information about their courses can be found in the study handbook https://wur.osiris-student.nl/#/onderwijscatalogus/extern/start.

  • What are the Masters of the Food Sciences at WUR?

    There are three Masters on campus and one online Master. The on campus Masters are MSc Food Technology (MFT), MSc Food Safety (MFS) and MSc Food Quality Management (MFQ). The online Master only exists for Food Technology. You can find more information about these Masters in the study handbook https://wur.osiris-student.nl/#/onderwijscatalogus/extern/start.

  • How do I arrange my internship?

    Two times every year meetings are scheduled to inform you about the MSc internship and how to arrange it. The study advisors will inform you via email about the dates of these meetings. If you already would like to have some information in advance: check the Brightspace page 'Programme information site Food Studies' > internship information.

    The Food Science programmes have an Internship Team, you can contact them by sending an email to internships.foodsciences@wur.nl!

  • General

  • Where do I buy my study books?

    You can buy your study books in the WURshop on the ground floor of the Forum building. They have the right version of the books you need, but they don’t know which books are compulsory and which are optional. To find this information, you should consult the study handbook. If you’re a Nicolas Appert member, you will receive a 10% discount on your books.

  • Where can I find which books I need?

    Look for the course in the study handbook, under the description of the course you can find which books you need under ‘Literature’. The WURshop can also help you if you know the course code.

  • Where can I find all chair groups of Wageningen University and Research?

    You can find all chair groups on the site https://ssc.wur.nl/Handbook/Department

  • What are the opening times of the WURshop?

    Studystore Wageningen
    Droevendaalsesteeg 2
    Forum, gebouw 1026708 PB Wageningen
    Phone: 088-2030377

    Opening hours:
    Monday: 9.00 - 16.30
    Tuesday: 9.00 - 16.30
    Wednesday: 9.00 - 16.30
    Thursday: 9.00 - 16.30
    Friday: 9.00 - 14.30

  • How long does a teacher have to check an exam?

    Article 46 Results and announcement of results

    a. The examiner determines the result of a written interim examinationwithin ten working days after the day the examination is taken. (Working days: are the weekdays Monday to Friday, with the exception of the national holidays recognised by the CAO of the Dutch Universities and the days between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day).

    b. The examiner determines the result of an oral interim examinationimmediately after the examination is taken and provides the studentwith the result in writing.

    c. In the case of educational units for which no written or oral interimexamination is given (such as an internship or thesis), the examinerdetermines the result within 10 working days after the submissiondeadline determined by the examiner, on condition that the studenthas submitted on time. If the student fails to submit on time, theexaminer shall determine the result within a reasonable term.

    d. Within the time limits referred to in this Article, the examiner ensuresthat the results are announced by entering the results in the studentinformation system. The student can find this information on MyPortal.

  • How do I unsubscribe for a re-exam?

    Go to SSC > ‘Register for (repeat) interim exams’ > 'Register' > select the period > click on the red circle with a yellow ‘W’ (withdraw) for the right course code.

  • How do I unsubscribe for a course?

    Go to SSC > ‘Register for courses incl. interim exams’ > ‘Register’ > select a period > Click on the red circle with a yellow ‘W’ (withdraw) and you’re unsubscribed.

  • How do I register for a re-exam?

    Go to SSC > ‘Register for (repeat) interim exams’ > 'Register' > select the period > click on the red circle with a yellow ‘E’ (enroll) for the right course code. Behind the course code you can find the mark you obtained for your exam.

  • How do I register for a course?

    Go to SSC > ‘Register for courses incl. interim exams’ > ‘Register’ > select a period > check your course > Click on the red circle with a yellow ‘E’ (enroll) and your subscribed.

    • Registering for a course means that students are registered for all parts of the course and for the relevant exam. This is possible through MyPortal;
    • Students can always register for 2 courses per period. Registering for more courses can be done to a maximum of 15 ECTS credits for each period. Registering for more than 15 ECTS credits can only be done by the course coordinator;
    • The final registration dates can be found on the agenda;
    • Some courses have a maximum. Registering for these courses closes a week early.
    • First year BSc students will be registered automatically for all courses in the first period of the first year ONLY. After that period students must register themselves;
    • Registration after the deadline is only possible with authorisation from the course coordinator. In this case the course coordinator has to register the student for the course;
    • During the registration period it is possible to withdraw for a course;
    • Registration for only the exam or withdrawal from the exam may be done at the latest two weeks before the start of the exam week in which the exam will take place. This is in line with the present procedure for exam registration. It is not possible to register for exams after the deadline.
  • How do I know what are the available data for my re-exam?

    Go to the study handbook (https://ssc.wur.nl/Handbook/2018) and search for the course. Click on ‘Course schedule’ on top of the page. The upper data are the data of the re-exams.

  • Bachelor

  • When is the BSc graduation?

    Each academic year, two BSc graduations are organised. The first graduation takes place after the first period, which means that everyone who graduates during the first period or earlier on, can take part in this ceremony. The second graduation takes place after the fourth period. Therefore, everyone who finishes in the fourth period or before this time, can take part in this graduation. More information and the data can be found on https://www.wur.nl/en/Education-Programmes/Current-Students/Agenda-Calendar-Academic-Year.htm.

  • What is a BSc thesis?

    Your bachelor thesis is a short research project. You can choose to do a literature research, a data analysis or an experimental research with one of the five chair groups.

  • What can I do in my minor?

    A minor is a ready-to-go package of courses. The minors offered in Wageningen, you can find on the following site: https://www.wur.nl/en/Education-Programmes/BSc-Minors/List-of-BSc-minors.htm. You can also choose your own courses to do a custom chosen minor, which you should discuss with your study advisor. It’s also possible to do your minor abroad. To see the offer, you should consult the site of the university you’re interested in.
    You can also check the blackboard page 'Food Programmes Information Site'.

  • What are the compulsory courses in my bachelor?

    You can find all courses in the study handbook https://ssc.wur.nl/Handbook/Programme/BFT. CS stands for a compulsory course and RO for restricted optional. The phase (B1,B2,B3) indicates in what your of the study this course is included. Under Period you can see in which period the course is taught and whether it’s an afternoon or morning course.

  • How much space is there for choosing your own courses in the Bachelor Food Technology?

    Assuming you will follow the normal schedule and do not have any study delay, the first moment to choose your own courses is in your third year. During your first and second year you follow compulsory courses to obtain 120 ECTS in total. In your third year, you have to follow the compulsory course case studies (6 ECTS) and you will do your BSc thesis (24 ECTS). The rest of this year is your minor, in which you can choose your courses. Normally it is 30 ECTS. You can do your minor at the WUR, but also abroad or at another university in the Netherlands.

  • Can I study abroad during the bachelor Food Technology?

    If you are interested in studying abroad, the best time to go is during your minor. During the second year you will also get a presentation from the study advisors with more information on studying abroad. To see what the best choice is for you, make an appointment with your study advisor to discuss your options. Find more general information on the site https://www.wur.nl/en/Education-Programmes/Study-Abroad-and-Exchange-Students/Outgoing-from-Wageningen-University.htm. Furthermore, you can check the Brightspace page 'Programme information site Food Studies' for more information for example the presentation of the study advisors or the deadline for application.

  • Can I do an internship within the BSc programme?

    Yes, this is possible. You could do an internship for a maximum of 12 ECTS, during your minor or as extra. Different from the MSc internship, for the BSc internship you have to arrange the place in a company by yourself. Of course you can always ask advise from your study advisor or the Internships Food Sciences Team (internships.foodsciences@wur.nl)!